In baseball, speed is one of the most important aspects of pitching. You need to do a lot of practice and also apply different techniques to improve your speed. Whether you play baseball for fun or you are a professional, you need to learn how to increase your pitch velocity.
Pitchers always aim to throw at the highest speed as a way of improving their game. The speed depends on various things like age, level of experience, body size, etc. How fast can the average person throw a baseball? Find out our detailed answer to this question below. We have also shared some of the things you should do to boost your pitch velocity.
- How fast can an average person throw a baseball?
- How fast can a baseball player throw a ball?
- 10 years and below
- 10-12 years
- 13- 14 years
- Young adults in high school
- How can I throw a baseball fast?
- How fast does the average MLB player throw?
- How fast is a 70 mph softball pitch in a baseball?
- Can anyone throw 90 mph?
- How fast should a 17-year-old pitch?
- How fast does a 3D pitcher throw?
- Do taller pitchers throw faster?
- How can I improve my pitching velocity?
How fast can an average person throw a baseball?
The highest an average person without experience can throw a baseball is 50 mph or slightly more. Trained young players who are 9 to 10 years old can throw at an average velocity of 40 to 50 mph. Players who are between 10 to 17 years can throw at an average of 55 to 75 mph. For experienced adults above 18 years, they can throw at an average of 80 mph.
Read Also: Best Baseball Bat For Beginners
How fast can a baseball player throw a ball?
Some of the most experienced players can throw a ball at a speed of over 95 mph. Below is the average throwing velocity according to age group;
10 years and below
Young players below 10 years can throw at an average of 30 to 40 mph.
At this age of 11-12 years, kids can manage an average of 40 to 50 mph.
13- 14 years
Kids who are 13-14 years are usually completing their Little League experiences. They can throw at an average of 55-75 mph.
Young adults in high school
Players within this group are 14 to 18 years old. Those who are new to baseball can throw at an average of 55-75 mph just like the 13- 14-year-old players. Older players or those who have attained 18 years can achieve an average speed of 75 to 95 mph. Changeup speed for these players is 10-15 mph slower meaning that their speed is usually 60 -75 mph.
How can I throw a baseball fast?
When throwing a baseball, you need to speed up your arm to increase the speed. The harder you move your arm the faster the speed. You should also consider the following tips;
- Keep your elbow and wrist loose and relaxed. You should also cock your thumb down on the ball.
- Keep your hand on the side of the ball having the index finger pointing upwards.
- Make sure that your fingers are spread out when holding the ball. You should not allow them to overlap.
- When throwing, you should move your arm up behind your body until the arm is in a fully stretched position.
- Use enough force if you want to achieve the maximum velocity when throwing the ball.
Read More: How to Use a Pitching Machine?
How fast does the average MLB player throw?
Trained baseball players above 18 years can throw at an average of 80 mph and above. Those who are 10-17 years can manage a maximum of 55-75 mph.
How fast is a 70 mph softball pitch in a baseball?
A baseball thrown from a distance of about 55 feet from the home plate gives the hitter a reaction time of 0.44 seconds. A softball that is released from a distance of 37 feet from the plate will give the batter a reaction time of 0.35 seconds.
Can anyone throw 90 mph?
Not all baseball players can throw the ball at a speed of 90 mph. To achieve this, you should be able to move more weight than you weigh. You need to have a 1.5 power to weight ratio for you to produce a 90 mph fastball.
How fast should a 17-year-old pitch?
Most baseball players of this age can throw at a speed of 80 to 85 mph.
How fast does a 3D pitcher throw?
On average, Division III pitchers have a pitching velocity of 77 to 82 miles per hour. Baseball coaches prefer Division III m players with a strikeout to walk ratio of 1:1.
Do taller pitchers throw faster?
Taller pitchers have the added advantage of throwing the ball faster than the average pitcher. This is mainly because they have more body mass and longer limbs which allows them to throw balls without straining too much. However, different studies have proven that height is not a major factor when it comes to how fast a pitcher can throw.
How can I improve my pitching velocity?
Pitching velocity is normally determined by various factors such as your body mass, pitching techniques, practice, etc. If you want to improve your pitching velocity, you should focus on the following;
For you to throw hard, you need to have physical strength. This will give you more power when throwing which will help you to pitch faster. To improve your strength, you will need to do various exercises.
Some of the exercises that can help you to improve your pitching velocity include?
- Weightlifting – You can try lifting weights that are 50% – 60% of the total weight you can lift. To get the best results, you should combine these exercises with stretches.
- Pushups, bench presses, triceps pulldowns and wrist curls – These exercises are very good for upper body training. They help you exercise your triceps, chest and forearm muscles. All these parts are involved when pitching.
You need to learn different methods or techniques of throwing the baseball. You need to learn how to position your body parts and also work on your movements. Applying proper techniques will give you the strength requires to throw the ball at a higher speed. Below are some of the things you can try to improve your mechanics.
- Improve your glove arm action
- Raise your lead knee to 60-70% of your average standing height during leg kicks.
- Bend your knees during stride foot contact
- Increase your elbow flexion when doing foot strikes
- Improve maximum external rotation of your shoulder.
- Tilt your upper body when releasing the ball
- Increase your font leg knee flexion when releasing the ball
- Apply a 4-seam grip
- Use wrist flexion
- Use your forearm when pitching
Do a lot of practice
Learning how to increase your velocity may require some time. This means that you need to do a lot of practice as you perfect your techniques. Practicing frequently will also help you to build your body mass which improves your strength.
What percentage of high school pitchers throw 90 mph?
Only about 5% of high school pitchers can throw at a speed of 90 mph. This means that it is not easy to achieve this. Some years back, a high school pitcher who managed to throw the baseball at 90 mph was awarded the NCAA Division 1 scholarship. Depending on the abilities and body size, the pitcher would get some attention from professional scouts.
How fast can a human throw a baseball? Several factors affect how fast an average person can throw a baseball. Some of these factors include the age of the player, experience level and the level of practice. If you want to succeed in the game, you need to learn how you can improve your pitching speed. We have outlined some of the things you need to do to improve your pitching velocity.